Cybersecurity is a never-ending battle against unseen forces. Every business regardless of size needs to be aware and stay vigilant in protecting itself. There are practical things that can be done to harden your business against threats. At EPK we’ve created this list of the top 5 we feel should be implemented immediately.
1. Implement strong password policies: Ensure that employees use complex passwords that are regularly updated and implement multi-factor authentication (MFA) for added security. Educate employees about the importance of password hygiene and discourage password sharing.
2. Keep systems and software up to date: Regularly update operating systems, applications, and network devices with the latest security patches. Outdated software often contains vulnerabilities that cybercriminals can exploit, so staying current is crucial in minimizing risks.
3. Conduct regular employee cybersecurity training: Train employees on best practices for identifying and handling potential threats like phishing emails, suspicious links, or social engineering attempts. Teach them to exercise caution while downloading attachments or providing sensitive information, both at work and on personal devices.
4. Backup data regularly: Implement a robust data backup strategy to ensure critical business information is protected from ransomware attacks or server failures. Regularly test restore procedures to guarantee the integrity and availability of backups.
5. Deploy a reliable firewall and endpoint protection solution: Invest in comprehensive cybersecurity solutions that include firewalls, antivirus/antimalware software, and intrusion detection systems. These tools help detect and block malicious activities, such as unauthorized access attempts or malware infections.
EPK believes cybersecurity should be a top priority for all small and medium businesses. We can help you take proactive measures today to protect your company’s sensitive information and maintain customer trust. If you need help or have any questions about implementing any of these five steps, contact us and we’ll get started together on significantly reducing the risk of a cyber-attack crippling your business.